What is a Secure Key?
We take your online safety very seriously. If you use online or mobile banking, our Secure Key gives you added protection against the threat of fraud. As well as your normal username and passwords, you’ll generate a code from your device, which only you have access to.
How does a Secure Key work?
The Secure Key generates a temporary code which you then use to access mobile and online banking. To generate the code, you need a PIN or password known only by you - or you can use Apple Touch / Face ID or Android Fingerprint if your phone has these features. The Secure Key means only you can access your accounts.
Fraud alert: Don't fall victim to a scam. Never give out your security codes to anyone. Criminals pretend to be people you trust like a company you'd pay bills to, HSBC or even the police. For more information, please visit our Security centre.
Why choose the Digital Secure Key?
- Convenience - it's part of the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app
- Use it to log on to the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app and Online Banking
- Easy access – As the Digital Secure Key is integrated into the app, you will not need to generate a code to log on, just use your Digital Secure Key password
- Its quick and easy to set up and make new payments
- As long as you have your mobile device you will have full digital banking access
Download the app
How to upgrade to the Digital Secure Key
To upgrade to the Digital Secure Key which is available on iPhone and Android smartphones running up-to-date software, as long as you have the HSBC Mobile Banking app, follow the instructions below:
You can set up a Digital Secure Key on Android™ and Apple* phones running up-to-date software. You’ll first need the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app, which you download on all Android™ and Apple devices running up-to-date software.
* iPhone, iPad, iPod Face ID and Touch ID are trademarks of Apple Inc, registered in the US and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
Secure key help
Need help with your Secure Key?